Dear Alliance Family,
You may be aware that earlier today, we announced the retirement of longtime CEO Nancy McGee and the appointment of Kevin Dean as interim CEO. We wanted to take a moment to address you, our members and supporters, and share additional insight into this transition.
First, we are happy to say that Nancy, now CEO emeritus, will serve with The Alliance for two more months, continuing her important work with Mayor Jim Strickland’s Nonprofit Advisory Council. She will also represent The Alliance at Nonprofit Day on the Hill in Nashville this month on Feb. 15th and the Nonprofit Town Hall with Mayor Strickland on Feb. 23rd.
Nancy has been essential in building The Alliance for Nonprofit Excellence over the past 25 years, which she took from a small grant-writing center to a holistic nonprofit capacity building organization. It goes without saying that we would not be the organization we are today without her leadership, vision and passion.
Here are just a few of her accomplishments:
- Recognizing the tremendous growth in the sector, increased competition for funding, and the need for a resource to help build nonprofit capacity to more effectively meet the needs in our community, Nancy led the evolution of the organization from the Grant Center to the Alliance. At the time, very little was going on across the country in nonprofit capacity building, and the Alliance saw an opportunity to step into the space and fill a resource void in our community.
- She led the creation of the Program for Nonprofit Excellence, our intense capacity building initiative, which received national recognition from the Nonprofit Quarterly and Philanthropy Journal; was highlighted as a best practice by several federal agencies.
- Most recently, she led the organization in taking a larger role in advocacy and building the collective voice for the sector through the creation of the Nonprofit Advisory Council.
- Nancy spearheaded the first local/state studies on nonprofit compensation and the economic impact nonprofits and the services they offer have throughout the state of Tennessee.
Second, we recently found ourselves in the very fortunate position to secure Kevin Dean as our interim CEO. Kevin is very well known in the nonprofit community as a talented, proven leader. Nancy and our board of directors are extremely confident in his ability to lead The Alliance during this time, and we know you will feel the same.
Finally, I felt it important to outline a few items:
- Some events may be postponed or canceled as we go through this transition, but we will stay in close contact with you about these.
- Kevin will be working over the coming months to evaluate programs and offerings of the organization across the board. Stay tuned for more announcements on programming.
- We will be engaging each of our members in the planning process as we continue to build a strong, new organization. Your insight is important to us.
- Again, Nancy will continue her important work with the Mayor’s Nonprofit Advisory Council, and will represent The Alliance both at Nonprofit Day on the Hill this month and the Nonprofit Town hall with Mayor Strickland.
- We appreciate your continued support as we begin this important time in the organization’s history. We cannot do it without you.
If you have questions, concerns or other matters to discuss regarding this announcement, please reach out to me and I will be glad to address those with you. Thank you for your support of The Alliance, and we look forward to exciting things to come!
Board of Directors
The Alliance for Nonprofit Excellence